ESLC/MERC Workshop Series
The six HSC colleges teamed up during the 2014-15 academic year to provide a unique faculty development program for education research and scholarship that takes advantage of the nationally recognized Medical Education Research Certificate (MERC) program, sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Although you’ll see “medical education” in a few workshop titles, the content may be applied to any health science education setting! It is our intention to continuing offering workshops on these and other topics next year and beyond.
This workshop series is intended to provide the knowledge necessary to understand the purposes and processes of education research, to become informed consumers of the education research literature, and to be effective collaborators in education research. Workshops alone cannot produce independent education researchers, but it is our hope that through the collective faculty development opportunities offered via the Educational Scholarship Learning Community and our HSC colleges, we will be able to support your education scholarship goals. Your suggestions about topics for future workshop sessions are welcome.
During the 2014-2015 academic the following eight workshops were offered in collaboration with the MERC program. Each workshop was 3 hours long, and focused on a key skill or area in educational research, emphasizing opportunities for hands-on activities and active participation, so as to maximize the applicability of the workshop principles. (Please note that workshops must be attended in person, and will not be live-streamed or recorded.)
- November 20, 2014, 1:30-4:30 pm, Measuring Educational Outcomes with Reliability & Validity, Ann Frye, PhD
- November 20, 2014, 5:30-8:30 pm, Data Management & Preparing for Statistical Consultation, Ann Frye, PhD
- December 11, 2014, 1:30-4:30 pm, Introduction to Qualitative Data Collection Methods, Janet Hafler, EdD
- December 11, 2014, 5:30-8:30 pm, Qualitative Analysis Methods in Medical Education, Janet Hafler, EdD
- January 7, 2015, 1:30-4:30 pm, Program Evaluation and Evaluation Research, Larry Gruppen, PhD
- January 7, 2015, 5:30-8:30 pm, Scholarly Writing: Publishing Medical Education Research, Larry Gruppen, PhD
- March 11, 2015, 1:30-4:30 pm, Questionnaire Design & Survey Research, Sheila Chauvin, PhD
- March 11, 2015, 5:30-8:30 pm, Formulating Research Questions & Designing Studies, Sheila Chauvin, PhD
This workshop series was sponsored by all six HSC colleges and had an enrollment cap of 30 participants per workshop. We intend to provide additional workshops on these and other topics in the years ahead. We will welcome your feedback throughout the year about which topics are of high demand and would be the most helpful for you to accomplish your education research goals. These and other topics can and will be presented by local UF faculty next year. High demand MERC workshops could also be repeated in future years, pending the availability of funding.
Faculty members attending at least six workshops here at UF and/or at national or regional medical education meetings may earn the MERC certificate. For more information, please see the MERC website.